RIP Michael Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)
1) Michael Jackson owned 50% of ATV publishing, a lucrative music catalogue comprising around 4,000 songs by artists such as Destiny’s Child, J. Lo, The Beatles and Elvis Presley.
2) In 1980, he secured the highest royalty rate of any artists in the music industry – 37% from the sale of his albums.
3) His Dangerous album is the most successful New Jack Swing album of all time selling over 30 million copies.
4) In 1992, he sold the broadcast rights to the Dangerous world tour for $20 million (around £12 million), a record-breaking deal that still stands.
5) The double album HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I is the best-selling multiple-disc album of all-time.
6) Jackson holds Guinness World Records for being the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time and supporting 39 charities, more than any other personality.
7) Before Thriller, MTV had been reluctant to play music by black entertainers. Nevertheless, Jackson used the song to transform the music industry, demonstrating how videos could be used to promote singles and albums.
8) Thriller went onto become the best-selling album of all time and was the first LP to have seven singles in the American Hot 100 singles chart.
9) In 1992, Jackson founded the Heal the World Foundation, which sends millions of dollars to children around the world who had been affected by disease and war.
10) His music catalogue is rumored to be worth over £1 billion.